Saturday, April 28, 2007

FINAL SITE!!

Ok, so I am on a major high right now. Last night we had our language test and found out where we are going to be for the next two years. Let me warn you in advance however... this entry will be frustrating for you because I'm actually not allowed to post on here the geographical location of my site. For that you will have to contact my parents. They are informed. Just know you won't be able to find it on a map...

... so let's start with the language. AWESOME!! I was really worried about it, not so much about passing because I knew that that was going to happen. I really want to do well in this language and maybe break some of the mediocre tendencies I've displayed in the past. It was a smashing success. I don't know exactly where I'm at on their scoring because it was just a mid term evaluation and not the actual test, but I'm definitely in the Intermediate level and all you need is Novice High. (the levels are Novice Low, Mid, High, Intermediate Low, Mid, High, Advanced Low, Mid, High, and Superior)That from only about 2 or 3 combined weeks of language training. It's amazing how quickly you can learn a language.

Now on to the site... all I can tell you is that I am extremely excited. I have a new site and in an area where there were no previous volunteers which means I'll be starting from scratch. It's in the mountains and cold apparently which I'm excited about as well. I don't have running water, but I do have electricity. The thing I think is awesome though is that my house is about 10 km from the hospital I'll be working at which means either hiking or biking when I go. My site covers a very large area and the nearest post office/internet connection/bank is about a 45 minute or an hour drive away. I think the nearest volunteer from my group is about 2 or 3 hours away, but I really won't know that till i've traveled the road. (distances really mean nothing as 17kms could take you 20 min in some places or an hour in others)

I leave tomorrow on my own for a week of exploring and getting the lay of the land and then it's back to our training site for, well, I really don't know what. This is really starting to get real. Up until now it has still only been imagination. I'm so excited.

The bad part about all of this for you is that I really should have just taken the time to write funny stories 2 days ago because now it all seems distant past as the whole landscape is about to change...

... oh, and I'll get an address in a week so be looking for that as well.

2 comments:

Ann said...

"My site covers a very large area and the nearest post office/internet connection/bank is about a 45 minute or an hour drive away. I think the nearest volunteer from my group is about 2 or 3 hours away,"

and you're excited about this???

cyngun said...

We still want the stories! You promised!